Friday, October 12, 2007

Uganda - text from speech from Seguya Pius following a successful computer course at Cambridge Colle

The 5000 Shillings Speech (part 1)

A very Good afternoon to you all. It is with pleasure that I am here today.
 
I wish to convey my sincere gratitude to the Principal for accepting to take on the role of being chief-guest. Sir, you have been asked to do this at the last hour, I am so grateful that you showed no hesitation in doing it. Thank you very much 
 
Today is a day for the commencement of a fundamental turn in the lives of many individuals seated amongst you, and a milestone day that will go down in the history books of Gayaza Cambridge College of St. Mbaaga.
 
I would like to thank the headmaster and all the teachers so much for their support; Mr. Lwanga, Mr. Lugemwa and Mr. Zziwa, you have been extremely encouraging. I can hardly say it was easy; when we would expect to have at least all the computers fully functioning, I could discover one or two had faulty mice or keyboards. But your encouragement, direct and indirect, kept us all going
 
Mr. Arinaitwe, Mr. Kawooya, Mr. Ssewannyana, Madam Kambejja, Madam Rose, Madam Nanziri, Mr. Ssentongo, Mr. Mugwanya, Mr. Ssembatya, Mr. Kasenge, Madam Nakamanya, Madam Nakkazi, Mr. Ssaka, Mr. Kwijuka, Madam Nakkazi, Madam Nakayiza, Madam Nakitto, Mr. Kasenge, Mr. Ssentongo, and Mr. Ndugga ….you were always there for whatever issue I had to raise; thus enabling smooth trainings.
 
I also wish to extend my thanks to the entire students’ community for the reception you gave me.  I met so many smiling faces, which gave me hope that every one of you, ladies and gentlemen, is headed somewhere, and that the entire school community has a dazzling destination. You gave me a challenge every time I walked around the school compound, thus
 
- HOW BEST CAN THE YOUTH BE TAUGHT AND PUT OUT TO THE WORLD WITH A DETERMINATION TO MEET THEIR OWN AND THEIR COMMUNITY CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES?
 
- HOW CAN WE CLOSE THE RIFT OFTEN SEEN BETWEEN TEACHERS AND THEIR TEENAGE LEARNERS?
 
- CAN TEACHERS PRODUCE THE BEST STUDENTS WITHOUT PUNISHING, PARTICULARLY THE USE OF CORPORAL PUNISHMENT?
 
These questions, pondered upon, can help teachers with the best way to handle students without derailing their respect, while showing such great respect for their learners. It is such mutual respect, and the understanding of students’ personal needs and challenges that can give us the best performance in our schools in the entire country.
 
I particularly wish to convey my sincere appreciation to the students receiving their certificates today. You have been enormously disciplined and committed to learning. I have no report of mediocre achievement or indiscipline on individuals or the entire group to the headmaster or to anyone else here seated, but one of tremendous success.
 
When the headmaster told me he had selected the best cream from the school for the start of the trainings, he didn’t lie. He and all the others on his selection team, which included Mr. Lugemwa, have been proved right by today’s results.
 
These students have always been so ardent on learning that in one of our sessions, I read many confused faces; anyone could read that they were not taking in anything. After the lesson, I took one of their leaders, Rhona, and asked her what had happened to the class. She said, and I quote “Sir, there was nothing wrong, it was with you, you seemed to have had a small problem disturbing you”, end of quote. I kept quiet for a few moments to reflect, I found that Rhona was right. Their tutor had a problem, he had carried all the stress of the hours he had since morning into class.
 
And in my utter belief, such happens to all teachers at one time or another. It also happens to every one of us in the different relationship we have, and in different areas where we might happen to be. No wonder we are so quick in finding fault with others before we have found our own.
 
The notion that problem teachers create problem students requires much more than our thought. Many are times when our learners find difficulties in learning as a result of their teacher’s fault.
 
 

No comments:

Nepal - Dental care camp

Nepal - Dental care camp This dental health camp is one day camp for the students of Bal batika school. The main objective of the camp is t...