Thursday, November 29, 2007

From Jessy Winterbonn Peace Initiatives Uganda

Peace MY LIFE STORY AND WHAT MOTIVATED ME  TO GET INVOLVED IN PEACE WORK
 
I was born in and brought up in a largely rural agricultural part of Uganda to a Christian family. My parents were both teachers. I began experiencing the violence as a young man having grown through the different military and dictatorial regimes of Idi Amin, Obote and the military junta. Just like my fellow youth, I developed the love of firearms which had proliferated into the population over the years and learnt how to strip and assemble a weapon at the age of eleven. Having missed an opportunity to join the liberation war like most of my friends during school days, I joined military service after my studies. My opportunity to work with a newspaper producing organisation, and as a research assistant for the Department of Gender studies, and in various capacities in the military exposed me to the grim realities of life. It was possible for me to interact with different communities especially those affected by conflict. I got to see the realities of the effects of firearms and violence involving the youth. I further understood that the youth were being used selfishly and were the most affected. While growing up, I had been made to dislike various tribes from what I used to hear about them. However, during the military, my lifestyle changed as we were taught to cooperate and come to the aid of fellow men. I made different friends and this made me understand that they were not as bad as I had earlier been made to believe! I made friends with colleagues from tribes considered very violent. I also found out that this stereotyping was the cause of friction amongst various communities and at the work place. I got more disturbed when many of my friends continuously asked me for ways they could get access to weapons as a way of being assured of security. My continued discouragements could yield little success. I saw how lives had been destroyed by the violence and most disturbing was the increasing hatred and accusations from different tribes. Most disturbing was the realisation that many youth have been denied opportunity to interact with others while at school just like we had.
 
I felt something had to be done to change the situation! Though a graduate of Finance, I felt more fulfilled interacting with various groups of youth in different regions of the country. This was how I came into peace work with NPI. Various youth are learning the realities of small arms and violence and how it is affecting them. I have been able to access different youth groups in war torn areas due to the fact that many social workers find it more difficult to travel in areas they consider dangerous and this continues to deny youth there the opportunity to learn. Born in the western part of the country, the youth in the north find it a surprise that I should dedicate my services in their regions which are considered no go areas.
 
 
 
 
WISH LIST
 
·   Office equipment like computers(desktop and laptop), coloured printer and photocopier to help in both office operations and production of Peacemania newsletter
·   Web hosting for Peacemania site (design of website complete).
·   Communication equipment including telephone sets.
·   Funds for typesetting, printing and distribution of peace newsletter.
·   Contribution to rent expenses and for volunteers
·   IEC materials for culture of peace road shows.
·   Camera for still pictures.
·   Video projector and speakers.
·   Books and other learning materials for peace resource centre.

Volunteers to fundraise for NPI initiatives.

 

No comments:

Nepal - Dental care camp

Nepal - Dental care camp This dental health camp is one day camp for the students of Bal batika school. The main objective of the camp is t...